2020 BIWAKO PRIZE FOR ECOLOGY - THE 21st AWARD - GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Awarding Organization
The Ecological Society of Japan
2. Description of the Prize
- Research area
Aquatic ecology and related fields
- Eligible Nominees and Qualifications
- Nominees should be individuals with outstanding research achievements. In the case of collaborative research, nominees must have played a major role.
- Nominees must be a resident of East and Southeast Asia, including the eastern part of Russia and the western Pacific region but excluding Australia and New Zealand, and must be persons whose academic activities in these regions are highly appreciated.
- Nominees should be under 50 years of age as of April 1st, 2020, as the aim is to support researchers who promise to make significant future contributions to the field of ecology.
- Nominees who have received other awards can apply.
- The prize will be given to one or two awardees.
- Each awardee will be given a certificate of merit by the Government of Shiga Prefecture and the Ecological Society of Japan.
- Duration August 1st, 2020 – October 15th, 2020
- Applications must be made using a designated “Nomination Form for 2020 Biwako Prize for Ecology” with supporting documents indicated in (3). The form must be completed in English or Japanese. Self-nomination is permitted.
- Applications must be submitted by mail and received by October 15th, 2020.
- Applications are valid only for the year mentioned above.
- Applicants may reapply if they are not a previous recipient of the prize.
(3) Documents and materials to be submitted →Download
- Nomination form for the 2020 Biwako Prize for Ecology
- Major achievements form A (Form A)
- Major achievements form B (Form B; papers and publications written in English or Japanese)
- Copies of documents and materials listed in Form B
- List of publications (all achievements including ones mentioned in Form B)
(4) Contact Address
All documents should be sent to the following address:
The Steering Committee of Biwako Prize for Ecology c/o The Ecological Society of Japan
1-8 Nishihanaikecho, Koyama, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8148, JAPAN
Tel. & Fax: +81-75-384-0250
E-mail: biwakoprize [at] mail.esj.ne.jp
(5) Number of copies to be submitted
A copy for each material of (3)a–e.
All materials, including papers and other writings, should be submitted either in English or Japanese.
Please note that documents and materials are not returnable.
4. Selection of awardees
The Selection Committee will screen the nominees, and the Steering Committee will make decisions on awardees by May 2021.
5. Selection Criteria
The Selection Committee will screen the nominees based on the following two criteria.
- Nominees who have made “outstanding research achievements” in the relevant area over the last five years. “Outstanding research achievements” will meet one of the following set of criteria:
- Research achievements that have contributed greatly to the advancement of ecology, such as unique and original research, the development of new techniques and technologies, and important discoveries.
- Research achievements that have great potential to solve important emerging issues, especially environmental problems.
- Research achievements as significant as (a) or (b).
(2) Additional research achievements are expected in the researcher’s career in the future.
6. Award ceremony
The award ceremony will be held July of 2021 in Shiga Prefecture. Awardees shall participate in the ceremony and give a commemorative lecture that can be understood by general citizens. Although not mandatory, awardees are encouraged to write their review papers in the journal of the Ecological Society of Japan. The review papers will be published after peer-review according to the publication guidelines of the journal.
- Implementation of the Biwako Prize for Ecology written by the 21st Steering Committee chairman
- The 20th,
- the 19th,
- the 18th,
- the 17th,
- the 16th,
- the 15th